Work began on the interior decoration in 1844, and Pugin himself was responsible for the design of many of the church furnishings, including the majority of the tiles, which were manufactured by Minton’s.
The tile pavement, ornate even at the west end where it includes several inscriptions, increases in complexity and lavishness to culminate in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament with its golden reredos of printed and painted tiles.
The inclusion of a site in the Tile Gazetteer does not guarantee any availability of public access nor that any listed site remains in existence or is unchanged.
The cost was just under £34. Across the moat from the Hospital is Alton Castle, also designed by Pugin for the Earl, on which work began in 1844.On Chapel Street, wedged into the tightly-knit back alleys of Cheadle, is A. The church itself was built in 1841-6, part of the multitudinous decorations on its soaring steeple being twin Talbot hounds; below it are the striking west doors, each bearing the family symbol, a golden lion within a scalloped border on bright red ground.Inside the church, all is colour, ornament and pattern, from the encaustic tiles, which cover the entire floor area as well as the nave dados, to the gilded and painted roof.The expansive Godwin encaustic tile pavement was probably installed in the parish church around 1860-70; it is at its most attractive in the chancel, where a tide of decorative tiling laps around four substantial alabaster monuments to the Giffards of nearby Chillington Hall. The expressions of the dogs in the larger of the pair, on the west side of the pub, are particularly well captured, while the glaze on the brown-framed, tube-lined panels has unusually rich combinations of colours. For Pugin, who was received into the Catholic Church in 1835, the structure of a church was religion in built form, and the intent behind St Giles was to produce a modern version of a fourteenth-century country parish church. The true church - pre-reformation Catholicism - would thus be housed in its true home, a Gothic church.Brewood was the centre of a strongly Catholic area, and St Mary’s R. They probably date from between the wars, but the manufacturer is unknown; perhaps they were locally produced. His patron was John Talbot, sixteenth Earl of Shrewsbury and the leading Catholic layman of the time, whose seat lay a few miles to the east at Alton Towers; Pugin began work there on a banqueting hall and chapel in 1837.